Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fairy Tales: Reflections or Mirages?

By Christine Moussa

Note: First of all, let me say that I'm really excited about this blog for the PBU English Ed. majors (thanks for starting this, Lisa)! I always enjoy reading what other English Ed. majors write and I'm excited to be a part of this :o) For the past couple of days I've been thinking a lot about the juxtaposition of fiction and reality... the result is the note I've written below; I hope you enjoy :o)


I love stories. I love telling them and I love hearing others tell theirs – especially when they have hilarious endings. Stories efficaciously enable us to do what we live for (or part of what we live for): connecting with one another. Think of it this way, when I tell you a story, it’s as if I’ve taken you back in time to re-watch a scene of my life with me – you hadn’t been a part of it before, but now, through my story, it’s like you never missed a thing.

Alright, so it’s fun to share stories about our lives, but what about fictional stories? What is the purpose of fairy tales in life? Do they serve a noble purpose? Or are they merely puerile tales that simply help free the mind from the ennui of reality? It’s true, they’re enchanting – but why? What is it about a princess' life that has girls mesmerized for life?

Do fairy tales – and other fictional works – serve as reflections of life? Can they effectively symbolize, demonstrate, and express the truth (or at least aspects of it)? Or are they more like mirages? Merely optical illusions that mislead us into placing our hopes in deceptive fantasies… resulting in nothing but maladroit moments in the real world?

I think it’s hard to say whether fairy tales are reflections or mirages because… I can definitely see how both options are true.

I can see fairy tales serving as reflections of the truth (believe it or not, I have met a person who was prompted to come to Christ after watching Beauty and the Beast). It helps that, in all stories there exists what we call “universal themes”. And yes, there are more themes than the obvious “Oh! I’m waiting for my Prince Charming!” one (thank goodness!) like the value of inner beauty, family, and the search for identity.

However, I can see the same stories becoming mirages in our lives. A girl can easily become enraptured by reveries of pulchritude. And if you actually abide by the whole “follow your heart” and “dreams come true” deal (I mean, really get yourself absorbed in this philosophy) you’ll (hopefully) discover that reality isn’t always so deferent to your hopes.

So what’s the difference? How can a fictional work have both effects?

Well, dear friend, I believe the arcane factor contributing to this enigma is… you (and me).

Before I continue, let me provide a brief metaphor:

Whenever we read the Bible it’s vital for us to understand the verses
in light of one another. If you took out a verse from the Bible and failed to see how it connected to its context, you can easily make wrong assumptions about its message and twist it to support an anti-Biblical statement. (Satan used this technique when he tempted Jesus in the wilderness). So it’s important to read verses in light of the entire message of the Bible (and this is accomplished with the guidance of the Holy Spirit!).

In the same way, whenever we read a story (like a fairy tale), we need to interpret it in light of the overarching story of life. Whether you realize it or not (and hopefully, if you’re a Christian, you do) there is one story for all humankind (at PBU we call it the Creation/Fall/Redemption narrative). Every person you see, every aspect of creation, everything is involved in this one story. And since us humans are involved, everything we do – including every story we write – becomes a reflection of this one story. Think about it: even when you read a story reflecting a secular perception of the world, you’re still seeing an aspect of the overarching narrative - the fall of man.

Consequently, it’s extremely important to interpret
everything we read and watch in light of the absolute truth: the Biblical understanding of our world. We should never acquiesce in the various forms of entertainment, but should seek to filter their messages in light of Scripture. (I feel as though I’ve stated this about a dozen times by now – sorry).

So rest assured, dear friends, we can all still enjoy those good-old tales of pixie dust, fairies, glass slippers, magic spells, and random musical encounters in the woods ;o) Just be careful not to lean too far into that wishing well…

PS: So... the whole "one story" revelation first came in Lit and Arts I when Professor Ebersole read a chapter from the book "How to Read Literature like a Professor"... but the concept didn't really "click" for me until I started writing this note. It was exciting :o)

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts Christine. I definately identify with this.. especially regarding watching too many romantic comedies growing up! They really can affect how you think if you aren't careful. Also the thing you said about filtering what we watch through Scripture is so true. I'm completely against most forms of censorship, but it is so important to be Biblically minded with whatever we watch or read. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete